Vital Stats

Alberta Vital Statistics is responsible for maintaining records of births, marriages and deaths that occur in Alberta. As a Registry Agent, we process applications for the following:

  • Certificate of Birth or Marriage
  • Certificate of Death
  • Certified Photographic Print of a Registration of Birth/Stillbirth, Marriage or Death
  • Certified Photographic Print of a Medical Certificate of Death/Stillbirth
  • Certified Photographic Print of Legal Change of Name Certificate
  • Search letter for a birth/stillbirth, marriage or death

Who Can Apply for the Above Certificates?

Generally, only the person themselves or any person who has the written authorization of the individual whose certificate is being requested and close relatives can request the certificates. Lawyers and other agencies can also make the request. If in doubt, please check with us.

How Long Does it Take to Obtain the Certificate?

Applications for certificates are processed by the Government the next working day and mailed out to the applicant the next day. You can obtain the certificate within 48 hours in case of an emergency. Please check with us for details. Courier services are also available for 2-3 day service and pick up from our location.

Certificates for events that occurred during the last thirty days may not be available if the event has not been registered. It may take up to one month for Vital Statistics to receive birth, marriage or death information from hospitals, ministers and funeral homes. You can still make the application, but the certificate will not be issued until the event information has been received by Vital Statistics.

Vital Statistics Certificates Application Form

If you require a Birth, Marriage or Death Certificate, you can print the form from the Service Alberta website. If you are living in Alberta, you will need to fill out the form labelled “Alberta Residents”.

If you are not an Alberta resident and require your Alberta birth Certificate, please go to Service Alberta Vital statistics website for information on how to order your birth certificate


Documents can only be issued if the birth, stillbirth, marriage or death occurred in Alberta.